Thursday, October 3, 2013

Chubby Lattice Quilt....Ready, Set, Go!

Time to start that Chubby Lattice quilt!  I can't wait! I found the perfect background fabric the other day as I was shopping at Jinny Beyers quilt shop.   Here it is under some of the other fabrics I will be using.  It will show off the palette collection nicely, making all those beautiful colors pop!


Just in case you want to make this with me, here are the fabric requirements for a 58 x 73 quilt:

5-inch charm squares-- 154 of them.
Background fabric-- 2 1/2 yards  (1 1/3 yard for small squares, 2/3 yard for border, 1/2 yard for binding)

Cutting instructions:

Cut 18 strips WOF (width of fabric, which is selvage to selvage) 2 1/2 inches wide.
Then cut strips into 2 1/2 inch squares.  You need 300 of these tiny squares.



Take a look at that nice new ruler I bought while at the shop.  I really like it and it seems to glow, doesn't it?

After you have cut your 2 1/2 inch squares, turn them over and draw a diagonal line from corner to corner on the back.


I like to use my FriXion pen for this.  It disappears when ironed.

Block construction is a cinch!  Here's what you do:

Place two small squares on one big square as shown....right sides together.  Take note of where your drawn lines are in the picture.



Sew right on those lines, then cut the corners off a quarter of an inch away from the lines.


Iron the the corners open. Perfect!  Wasn't that easy?


I like to chain-stitch for speed.  Here's how it looks when I do that.



After I finish one side on a whole buch of them, then I go back and sew the second small square onto each of the blocks.


Iron them open...and voila....several blocks are done!





No comments:

Post a Comment